COVID-19 in India: fact-check, and looking beyond headlines
Here is a look beyond a topics making headlines and a few facts.
Headline : "India is struggling to vaccinate its people against COVID-19"
India is indeed struggling to vaccinating a nation of 1.3 billion... but think of the scale and success thus far
- As of mid-May 2021, India has already vaccinated 16 crore (160 million) people till date. Let this number sink in for a moment..
- That's entire population of Russia and half the population of USA, 2.5 times of UK. 7 times Australia and 34 times New Zealand.
Headline : Bodies are seen floating in Ganga, Yamuna
- The most polluted river Yamuna | My India 2014
- A River about to Die - Yamuna River Project - 2014
- Unnao dead bodies row 2015 - Wikipedia
- Dead bodies found floating in Indian river | Asia News - Jan 14, 2015
Headline "I Believe One Million Indians Have Already Died of COVID" , Says Mathematician Murad Banaji" (The Wire)
According to statista.com 2019, there were about 7.23 deaths per 1,000 inhabitants in India.
- With a population of about 1,300,000,000 it would have been around 9,399,000 deaths in 2019. These are Pre-COVID19 numbers
- If Murad Banaji is right, the number of deaths in India will be over 10,399,000 in 2021
Headline: Indian Government is grossly under-reporting the cases and numbers
- New study says US COVID-19 death toll is actually 900,000 - University of Washington researchers estimate COVID deaths at nearly double the official number in the US.
- Politics of Death reporting - Undercounting of Covid-19 deaths is greatest in pro-Trump areas, analysis shows
Government hospitals : Healthcare in India
- According to Wikipedia, "India has a universal multi-payer health care model that is paid for by a combination of public and private health insurances along with the element of almost entirely tax-funded public hospitals. The public hospital system is essentially free for all Indian residents except for small, often symbolic co-payments in some services."
- How clean are our hospitals? - The Hindu Aug 18, 2015